About

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Water and Weight Loss

I think we all know that drinking more water can help cut down the amount of calories you ingest. Fill your stomach with liquid and you feel fuller. However, a recent Penn State University study has confirmed that eating low fat foods with a high water content can actually help with weight loss.

Fruits, veggies, beans and apparently low-fat dairy contain fewer calories and satisfy hunger more so you have a tendency to eat less.

They've also found that people who drink a bowl of veggie broth (of 100 to 150 calories per bowl) before a meal consume as much as 20 percent fewer calories.

Barbara J. Rolls, PhD at Penn State says "hunger is one reason people don't stick with diets." If you can feel fuller from less food, then you will obviously start losing some weight. I remember reading somewhere that we often misinterpret feelings of 'hunger' for feelings of thirst, so try drinking some water when you feel hungry and see if that doesn't actually curb your hunger pangs. Besides the more water you drink the more toxins are released from your body.

So start off with a clear, low-calorie soup, make a nice plate of veggies along with some beans and a little cheese, add some fruit for dessert and see what happens.

I think I'll go buy some miso soup and start off my meals with that.

H/T healthyupdates.com

7 comments:

Stylin said...

Its awful but as I read this I am feeling a little woozy !I know that I am dehydrated !
Can you please resend the invite,I seem to have lost that email.I apologise

Melanie said...

Interesting...I have been trying to up my water intake..so this is good news.

Incognito said...

Wow... I usually get an email telling me about comments but not on this one.. weird..
done, Poo.
It's amazing what lack of water can do.

MONDAY: Me too... particularly because I have a non-obstructing kidney stone that I do NOT want to turn into a problem.

Melanie said...

I have a stone too! Huh..if you have any info let me know. I have had several..but doing fine. I have found that I have had to quit drinking so much coffee...bummer!

Incognito said...

Mine was very small, at least when I was last checked.. some people just form them, for some reason, but the doctor just told me to make sure I am very hydrated. water is good for many things. I just forget to drink. it's best to drink as little coffee as possible. it's problematic in many ways. but if I find something on stones, I will post.

Melanie said...

Thanks....

Incognito said...

You are very welcome, Monday. I will look it up in my books and see if there is anything.